Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Supporting Actor 1987

I feel like part of the reason - okay, most of the reason - I've been doing a lot better with getting these categories published is because I started writing articles in my free time at work. So it's a lot easier to watch a film at night and then not worry about having to finish writing before I sleep so I don't keep putting it off over and over. It's easy to pick at it at work where I'm at for 12 hours and focus my thoughts where I'm not too distracted since at home I can do a million things. It allows me to start films I may not have before because of time constraints with having to sleep. I know, tough problems, right? Anyway, it's been nice to get these done quicker. Haven't seen any of these performances yet so I'm looking forward to them all.

1987 Best Supporting Actor

Sean Connery - The Untouchables

Okay, so I had heard how awesome this performance was and blah, blah, blah. I always dismissed that as people just loving Sean Connery and his thick accent and that's it. I always wondered if this was just a veteran win for the past Mr. Bond and because he was well liked in the industry. This was the first time they could even reward him and they went all out. Well, yes to that but yes to this being a really awesome performance. Watch this and not fall in love with the character after a minute or two. He's a no-nonsense Irish beat cop (though the accent is dodgy at best) who becomes one of Eliot Ness' handpicked men to bust up the illegal booze operations and bring down Al Capone. It's like every line he speaks is instantly quotable. He's funny and engaging and really just a treat to watch, no exaggeration. His presence is so dominant in the film that when he's not there, you feel the absence. Needless to say even if this was a veteran win, it still holds up on its own as a good performance. Whether or not it's good enough for the win, I'll have to wait and see. Shout out to Ennio Morricone's score which is terrific and obviously reminds me of his The Hateful Eight work. The role is pretty fun and light and I'm okay with the Academy rewarding him here.

Albert Brooks Broadcast News

A couple things that jump out at me right away are that I know Brooks mostly from his Simpsons work and various minor roles in movies, so seeing how good he is with this dramatic work is nice. The second thing is that this performance is a lead performance, shared along with William Hurt. I guess they didn't want to have both compete in Best Actor and take votes away from each other. But yes, Brooks is terrific in this role. He plays a newsman who is highly intelligent and ethical but isn't too handsome or flashy when hosting the news. He also sweats a lot on camera and seems more fit for behind the camera even though he wants to be the man in front. He is contrasted with Hurt's pretty boy, smooth talking, natural TV presence. The two kind of fight over Holly Hunter's attention and affection and therein lies the story. Brooks seems perfect for his role, as he brings a nerdy touch that's not too nerdy and is more of a know it all with condescension dripping from every line. He would be a flat out douchebag if not for his charm that keeps his attitude as mostly harmless. Not to mention Brooks is great with the comedic touches which makes the performance better and makes his character more sympathetic and likable. It's like his character is territorial of his work and of Hunter and constantly gets in these verbal jabs at anyone that he doesn't deem worthy of being around. His job is the most important thing to him and he will challenge and snap at anyone who gets in the way. Now I don't want to make it seem as if Brooks is this big asshole character because he has these emotional moments like when he confesses his love for Hunter but she doesn't feel the same way then almost immediately turns that into fiery anger. It's a very natural and visceral reaction that is remarkable to watch. And then Brooks' dealings with Hurt are interesting because the two are so wary of each other but admire and respect one another even if it's all only professional. I don't think they outright hate each other, just are two accomplished men trying to get ahead with each other in the way. It's a very real, authentic performance. Brooks seems so casual but you know he's putting in work to make the character what it is. This is a really good performance even if it is a co-lead in the film. Good to see Brooks rewarded here as I felt he should have been nominated for his supporting role in Drive a few years ago.

Morgan Freeman - Street Smart

I don't really know anything about Freeman's pre Driving Miss Daisy work. I didn't even know he had an Oscar nomination before that when I started this project and had never heard of this film. I feel like I need to check out more of his work to see how he has grown as an actor, especially if this performance is any indication of things. Freeman plays a pimp who people start to think is the pimp in a feature magazine story written by Christopher Reeve that he made up to make a deadline. As an aside, it's always weird seeing Reeve acting knowing what would happen to him in the future. I would have loved to see him continue his work and see what he could have done because he's pretty interesting, if a little generic. You might think Freeman is going to be a jovial, jive talking, funny, charismatic pimp but his pimp is a real, gritty, violent person. I like that his character isn't just a neighborhood friendly, whitewashed pimp. Freeman's Fast Black is unpredictable like when he is taking Reeve around a neighborhood and starts playing basketball and a guy blocks his shot. Freeman goes apeshit on the guy and then calms down and gives him money to go buy him some food. That scene really sums up Freeman's character to me. He can quickly become very violent and commands respect and fear from those around him and is able to throw money at the issues he's created. There's times where Fast Black seems harmless and more like a big talker than an actual doer, but then he surprises you with how he reacts to something. This could have easily been a cliche role but Freeman brings a lot more realness to the role than you would expect. The film isn't the best but Freeman makes it worth a watch. He's brutal and charismatic and brings a side of Freeman that we really haven't seen before. It makes you want to dive deeper into his earlier stuff to see what else he is capable of besides just being a great narrator and calm actor.

Vincent Gardenia - Moonstruck

To me, this nomination is carried by the love the film received overall. Not that Gardenia is terrible or anything but his performance is the lesser of the others in the film. He plays Cher's father and is a bit of a schmoozer. He's a successful plumber who gets people to pay for expensive copper piping by manipulating them with a caring act. He cheats on his wife, doesn't like his daughter's new fiancee, and is always complaining he's tired and can't sleep. So you can see the type of guy we are dealing with here. Gardenia at least plays this in a not so serious way which helps make him not so unlikable. I think it's also part of why I'm not that into the performance. Gardenia is fine in the role but it doesn't do anything for me, I don't feel compelled to champion it as being something amazing because I never connected with the character. He's kind of a sleazeball and doesn't have the best relationship with his daughter or his wife and isn't exactly laugh out loud funny or anything like that. I don't get why Dukakis stays with him or puts up with him. I'm sure other people find the character to be funny and relatable and might remind them of a family member but it didn't click with me. And that's really the crux of the performance. In a film about family, you're supposed to relate to everyone and usually like them. But Gardenia is the weak link in a film with some pretty great characters and it just totally misses for me.

Denzel Washington - Cry Freedom

Kind of interesting that Google just had a Doodle about Steve Biko and here I am a couple days later watching a film about his life. Weird how that seems to work out sometimes. I know there's a name for that like when you learn a new word and then see it everywhere but it escapes me at the moment. Anyway, Washington plays said Steve Biko, a South African anti-Apartheid activist who the government and police hate. His character ends up murdered but that doesn't come as a shock or anything as he's in the film for only maybe an hour or less. The issue with Denzel is that in his later years, he always seems to play a version of himself. The characters, no matter who they are, all feel like Denzel in some fashion. The great thing about this performance is that this is before Denzel became Denzel so we get a performance where he becomes someone else, in this case Biko. As far as I can tell, Denzel nails the accent and really embodies the character and brings a confidence to the performance. It's reminiscent of his work in Malcolm X where he fully gives in to the activist part of the character. The performance is effective in getting us to know who exactly Biko is and what he stands for and wishes to happen for his race and country. Denzel doesn't have to do much heavy lifting because he is only asked to give speeches and play the activist. We don't really dive deep into who Biko is or how he came to be an activist which is unfortunate. I would have liked a film that took a look at Biko instead of one that focuses on a white newspaper editor. It's a good first nomination and speaks to what Denzel would achieve later on with his performances.

This was a pretty good category! I'm always pleased when this category delivers. My odd man out is Gardenia who I felt came along for the ride with his film. It's an okay performance but not something I was super enthused about. Denzel is 4th in his first nomination really because it's like a primer for his Malcolm X performance. He is kind of righteous and we don't really get to the heart of why and Denzel doesn't have much else to do. Still worth a watch, though. I was surprised with Freeman because I liked how badass his character was, which we don't see often from him as an actor. It's worth a watch to see Freeman before his Driving Miss Daisy days for sure. Then Brooks is second because I really liked what he did with his character, how real it was, but it was definitely a co-lead in the film. I'm cool with the Connery win because his character was so entertaining. Sometimes that's all it takes if there's no absolute standout. It's a fun watch and who is mad at him having an Oscar? All in all an enjoyable category this year.

Oscar Winner: Sean Connery - The Untouchables
My Winner:  Sean Connery - The Untouchables
Albert Brooks
Morgan Freeman
Denzel Washington
Vincent Gardenia

No comments:

Post a Comment