Monday, February 8, 2016

Leading Actor 1999

The always prestigious Best Actor race with some notable names here except for one that I'm not familiar with at all. As I go back, I'm loving that I'm coming up on these unknowns (to me) because it keeps the excitement of the project going.

1999 Best Actor

Kevin Spacey - American Beauty

There are a lot of people, young and old, that can relate to Spacey's character in American Beauty. I think it's a daily fantasy for many people to dream about quitting the job they hate to pursue whatever goal they have, whether it be impressing a girl to have sex with or spiting their spouse or just to enjoy the little things in life. I'd wager that's a universal thing and one that is cleverly acted here by Spacey. I don't feel you have to be a middle aged white man in suburbia to hate your life so much that you fantasize about change. Spacey portrays that pathetic man in the beginning with a certain sly ease, meaning his character has been resigned to his shitty life for so long that he just goes through the motions no matter how farcical it might be. Where Spacey excels in this film is in the turn, the realization that he doesn't have to put up with that kind of lifestyle and he can in fact do whatever he wants, just like when he was a young kid. This part seems to fit more true to life for Spacey as I can easily see him just being this cool, laid back dude who smokes pot and buys a dream car and chills all day doing whatever makes him happy. That's why I think he fits so well into the role, not to mention he is such a great subtle comedian. He does things so dryly and sarcastically that you feel they don't work but I just absolutely love. Like when he tells Bening he bought the Firebird out front and then quietly pumps a fist and says "I rule," it's a moment that really works for me in believing the character. He is a man who has given up caring and is fed up with playing his familial role when he gets nothing out of it. I'd say he's a bit selfish but how many of us aren't when it comes to being happy? Spacey is so subtly funny throughout this film and is one reason I like his character so much, probably because it matches my own sense of humor. Another thing to note is that Spacey is probably one of the best at doing voice over work, to the point that it adds to his overall performance and makes it stronger. This is a really great performance overall and Spacey really did deserve his second Oscar win for this role.

Russell Crowe - The Insider

This is kind of interesting to watch again after seeing Crowe's other performances because you see pieces of those characters in this role. Crowe plays a tobacco scientist who is fired but also blew the whistle on cigarettes being addictive which Big Tobacco denied repeatedly. Crowe's character has this pulsing, just under the surface anger that comes out every so often and also demonstrates some paranoid tendencies. So this character is sort of the primer for his roles in Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind. The thing about this performance is that it seems too much like acting, like each little thing he does is a deliberate choice whether it's shrugging his shoulders when he's upset or tumbling down his front yard when running after some detectives. It can be especially noticeable when Al Pacino is acting opposite him in a very free flowing, natural style. I think Crowe is best at externalizing his pain and anguish and anger after keeping them bottled up for a bit. That's essentially where his character stays, too, right on the edge of exploding or breaking down. After a while you just want him to take a deep breath in and relax because watching his performance is almost exhausting for you, the viewer. It's a decent enough performance but I'd like a bit more range from the character than just brooding and angry. There's a couple moments with the family that try to humanize and bring the character back to a more relatable figure but I don't think it succeeds too well. It's an intense film but Crowe doesn't have to match the intensity to give a good performance. For the record, I much prefer Al Pacino as the better choice for a Best Actor nomination. I thought he was great as usual so maybe the Academy just wanted to anoint Crowe as their new man.

Richard Farnsworth - The Straight Story

I had never heard of this film or performance or actor until I started this project, and once I did, I couldn't wait to finally watch it because it's the first unknown (as far as the men are concerned) that I've come across. Then you realize it's a Disney film directed by David Lynch of all people, well that just piqued my curiosity even more! It reminds me of an Alexander Payne story and I could see this being shot in black and white, a la Nebraska. I'm glad it was done by Lynch, though, because it has some really great direction. This was Farnsworth's second Oscar nomination and would be his last film ever. Knowing the background of the film makes his performance even more poignant and interesting. Farnsworth was diagnosed with terminal bone cancer yet did the film anyway and his performance is magnificent. He is a man of few words in this film, preferring to let his acting do the talking and it's quite admirable. It's as authentic a performance as you'll ever find and that's because if I never knew Farnsworth was an actor before I would have sworn this was a real life portrayal. His stories while out driving his tractor seem personal in nature and not scripted, which speaks to his acting ability and just how raw and real the performance really is. It's really heartbreaking at times and just a genuine performance. Shit, if you don't cry at least once, you have no heart. Farnsworth is so unbelievably honest and real in his performance that I guarantee you will love it. To think this is a film and performance I never would have watched, yet I like it so, so much!

Sean Penn - Sweet and Lowdown

I feel I have to preface any Sean Penn nomination with I think he's a shitty person but a pretty great actor and it's unfortunate I have to do that. I must say that I was somewhat surprised that Penn was a leading man in a Woody Allen film but I guess also not so surprised. He actually fits extremely well into the typical Allen leading man role which I don't think I would have guessed. Penn plays a man who is the second best guitar player in the world (after Django Reinhardt) and is a womanizer, alcholic, overall miserable human being getting by on his immense talent. I think going backwards in this project affords me the ability to make this connection between Penn's Oscar nominated performances: this performance kinda reminds me of his I am Sam character. There are similar mannerisms and vocal inflections/intonations and it's almost a gateway between regular Penn and retard Penn. I don't mean that in a disparaging way, it's just that the two characters do seem to share a lot of similar styles almost, so I can see where Sam was developed from this possibly since I don't know for sure. But besides that, Penn does have an old school Hollywood leading man vibe going on which I kinda like. It doesn't surprise me that this was pretty much written in the 70s but shelved until now and feels like it could have been written in the 50s or at least portrayed by a 50s era leading man with ease. That's why I could see a George Clooney type excelling in the role. There are times when Penn is too quirky and eccentric with his acting but I think he does a good enough job with the character so that I wasn't completely turned off at the mention of his name. He's a great actor and he shows it time and again, just like he does in this film.

Denzel Washington - The Hurricane

I hate to say this but how many angry black man performances are too many when it comes to watching Denzel? I know that's a terribly loaded question because I don't want to be confused with slighting black actors but when you've seen him play an angry black man once, what's new that he can bring to the 5th time he's played that character in a different film? Part of that is the fact that those are the roles that black men get to play and is a major part of our cultural heritage and identity. We have a long way to go before we stop giving slave, prisoner, gangster, and radical roles to blacks and something else becomes the new norm. So obviously my point is that these are the roles that Denzel gets to choose from and that's just what we are going to get for right now. It's also the type of roles he seems best suited for anyway. Ones where he can tap into the submerged anger with ease and bring an intensity to a character that needs a voice. It's no different in The Hurricane where he portrays a once promising boxer who gets wrongly sent to jail on a triple murder charge. You can already tell how angry Denzel is from just reading that line. He does have his moments of redemption and towards the end he becomes this scholarly, peace spouting man that feels too sanctimonious for the film but at least Denzel can make the turn look effortless. There's also a scene where he is in solitary and has to act against his imaginary self and actually kinda surprised me that Denzel could pull that off without looking too ridiculous. I can't say I'm a big fan of this performance because I've seen Denzel pull this off better in Malcolm X and a couple of his other films, even if you leave the post 1999 ones out of the equation. It's just too familiar for me to give it much love.


Best Actor always seems to provide a pretty good group of actors year in, year out and this year is no exception. Just by name alone it's big with 4 Oscar winners in the group. Sean Penn was decent, surprisingly enough, in a Woody Allen film I actually enjoyed. If that's my 5th best, then it's not a bad year. I'd put Crowe as 4th just because it's so underwhelming and almost a primer for his future work, plus I just don't think I'm a fan of his acting style, honestly. Next would be Denzel, right in the middle for his not as good as he can be work. It's not bad, but I've felt I've seen him do the role better already. Now comes the tough part: Spacey and Farnsworth. I'll say I'm very happy with Spacey winning this year in real life. I love the performance and think it's really great. But damn, if Farnsworth didn't blow me away! Making him my number one is a bit easier seeing as how Spacey already had an Oscar before this one. If the Academy is going to do veteran and lifetime Oscars, why the hell not with a performance like Farnsworth's? Quite the year.

Oscar Winner: Kevin Spacey - American Beauty
My Winner:  Richard Farnsworth - The Straight Story
Kevin Spacey
Denzel Washington
Russell Crowe
Sean Penn

No comments:

Post a Comment